The Chimney Specialist's Code of Ethics
Professional, Quality Service from Our Los Angeles Chimney Restoration Experts
The purpose of this code is to establish a uniform standard of professional chimney and fireplace ethical practices regarding quality, safety, and pricing.
A professional chimney and fireplace contractor always:
- Studies the Building Codes and understands how the applicable codes apply to chimneys he encounters.
- Studies previous Building Codes to understand the timeline of how we arrived at where we are today with the Building Codes.
- Studies and understands the Safety Codes such as the NFPA 211.
- Continually keeps up to date with new Building & Safety codes and regulations in the chimney industry.
- Continues his training with industry released videos, seminars and courses.
- Continues to research new chimney repair technology and does not use or recommend a new technology until it has been proven beyond reasonable doubt.
- Abides by the Building and Safety codes in all of his dealings and does not consider that his opinion and experience is above or superior to the actual codes. He understands these codes are laws.
- Refuses to accept unlisted component parts in prefabricated systems.
- Refuses to put the client's financial considerations above their safety.
- Refuses to put the client's financial considerations above the safety of future owners of the property.
- Includes all the work he expects to encounter when delivering a proposal to a client and does not purposely leave work out that he can submit a change order for mid project.
- Refuses to cover up a situation that came up during a project, knowing it will become a problem for the property owner in the future.
- Refuses to allow uncertainty or fear to influence his report to his client when inspecting the system. Instead of simply condemning the system (the "Easy & Safe" way out) he takes the necessary additional steps to really discover the actual and true condition of the system so that a correct diagnosis can be made and reported.
- Refuses to allow shoddy workmanship and untested/unlisted components to exist in the systems he is responsible for. While quality may not be as important in carpet laying or paint it most certainly is in chimneys.
- Ensures that all of the members of his group follow the Chimney Specialists Code of Ethics.
- Ensures that the members of his field follow the Chimney Specialist's Code of Ethics.
- Actively educates the public on the need for chimney safety.
The Pasadena chimney specialists at Boston Brick & Stone, Inc. proudly serve the Greater Los Angeles area. Call us today at (626) 551-4919 or contact us online to schedule an estimate.